Dry, normal, oily… but what about combination skin? What do you do if your skin is oily in some areas while dry in others? Turns out, you can actually do a lot to help combat this frustrating skin type.
1/ How to diagnose combination skin.
Are you constantly battling your oily t-zone while blush simply flakes off your cheeks? You probably have combination skin, which typically is characterized by dry flaking skin on the cheeks, and excessive oil on the t-zone, which includes the forehead, nose, and chin.
Combination skin also typically involves dry skin around the eyes and mouth, in addition to the often mention cheeks.
It occurs when part of your face is producing too much sebum while the other areas of your face aren’t producing enough.
2/ How to care for combination skin.
- Choosing skincare for combination is much like threading a needing, you need to be really particular because your skincare products need to care for both your dry and oily skin.
- Gentle cleansers are always recommended for combination skin, as they won’t strip the dry bits but they’ll still the job done on the oily bits. Le Cleanser is a perfect example of a gentle that is ultra hydrating while witch hazel leaf water removes excess oil without over drying the skin.
- When looking for moisturizers, you want one with hyaluronic acid, so you can hydrate your dry spots but not clog the oily parts with excess oil. Yep, you guessed, you can find hyaluronic acid in La Crème.
- Don’t over exfoliate — this can irritate your dry skin and cause excess sebum production in your oily skin.
3/ Tricks for combination skin.
- Use blotting pads to remove excess oil in your t-zone while leaving your dry skin at bay.
- Much like the precise application of blotting pads, you can do the same with clay masks on your t-zone areas to help reduce the oil production.
- Double moisturize your dry areas. You’ve heard of double cleansing, but you can also double moisturize. We love using Le Baume as a cheek highlighter, but it could just as easily act as a cheek moisturizer.